Enjoy Lemons at the Chula Vista Lemon Festival
Zest up your weekend at the Chula Vista Lemon Festival this Sunday, August 5th, from 11 AM – 5 PM. Enjoy lemon-inspired activities such as contests, live entertainment, and a kid’s fun zone. Even though this event only happens once a year, there’s no reason why we shouldn’t incorporate lemon into our everyday lives. In honor of the Lemon Festival, here are some health benefits of lemon and ways you can add some tart to your diet every day!
Lemons are packed with vitamin C, minerals, and antioxidants that can help with your everyday body functions. Here are 8 reasons why you should start squeezing lemons into your diet!
- Lemons are rich in vitamin C and flavonoids, which can help fight against the flu and colds.
- Lemons increase peristalsis in the bowels, which helps with regularity.
- According to The University of Maryland Medical Center, vitamin C may lower bad LDL cholesterol.
- Vitamin C plays a role in building collagen throughout the body.
- Lemon is a source of potassium which is essential to a variety of different body functions and helps pumps blood throughout the body.
- Vitamin C may reduce age-related opacity of the eyes, keeping vision clearer, longer.
- Vitamin C can help you build a strong immune system.
- Adding lemon to your water can help with healthy hydration.
Enhance Your Meals
Not only do lemons bring amazing health benefits to the table, they also offer delicious flavors to your favorite dishes. When life gives you lemons, add it to your meals!
- Water: Squeeze half a lemon into a glass of lukewarm water to feel revitalized and rejuvenated. It’s recommended that you drink it first thing in the morning to receive the greatest benefits.
- Chicken: Lemon marinade paired with black pepper and rosemary is a classic flavor for your chicken dish. We recommend using boneless skinless chicken breast to trim the extra calories.
- Fish: Add fresh lemon juice and lemon slices to your fish after it’s done cooking. Adding lemon juice to your oily fish can help your body absorb the fish’s healthy oils.
- Veggies: From asparagus, to green beans, to spinach, lemon is always a great addition. Adding lemon towards the end can brighten up the dullest veggie dish.
In honor of Chula Vista’s Lemon Festival, celebrate lemons 365 days a year by adding fresh juice or zest to your meals! Keep in mind, the festival is outdoors, so protect your skin during the festival by choosing the right sunscreen.