San Diego Earth Day Activities: A Healthy Day for Your Mind, Body & Planet
Earth Day is an annual event that celebrates our planet and encourages the world to think green! This year, Earth Day lands on April 22nd and San Diego is ready to honor the amazing planet we live on. These San Diego Earth Day activities will inspire and educate you on how you and your loved ones can keep our environment healthy 365 days a year.
Celebrate the Earth
Stay active, promote a healthy lifestyle, and help the Earth!
Celebrate your appreciation for the Earth at the largest free annual environmental fair in the world! Join thousands of locals and visitors at this San Diego Earth Day fair as they gather to show their admiration for our home. With over 300 exhibitors, a food pavilion, endless children’s activities, an art gallery, live entertainment and a parade, you’ll be sure to soak in the Earth’s beauty and joy.
When: Sunday, April 22, 2018, 10 AM – 5 PM
Where: Balboa Park, San Diego
Join your neighbors and create a beautiful, litter-free San Diego! Recruit your friends, family, and co-workers to one of the local sites. Build camaraderie with community members and volunteers as you better the health of the Earth.
You can even win a prize! Capture your volunteer project with other volunteers and send it in for a chance to win a Sony Cyber-Shot camera. This year’s photo contest is “Rocking Reusables.” Make it a family affair and bling out your kids’ reusable trash pickup buckets. For more information, check out the event details.
When: Saturday, April 21, 2018, 9 AM – 12 PM
Where: All across San Diego County. Find a location near you.
3. 28th Annual Multi-Cultural Earth Day
This free event will have all members of the family applauding the amazing planet we live on. Enjoy live music performances, food from across the globe, arts and crafts vendors, children’s crafts, and garden activities!
When: Sunday, April 22, 2018, 11:00AM – 7:00PM
Where: Worldbeat Center, Balboa Park, San Diego
Scripps AMG Health Tips:
- You’ll be on your feet for most of the day, so be sure to wear comfortable shoes.
- Stay hydrated. Fill your reusable water bottles!
- Wear sunscreen and don’t forget to reapply throughout the day. Don’t forget to consult our guide to finding the best sunscreen for the whole family!
- Be sure to bring layers. Mornings and evenings typically get a little chilly now of year.
Ways You Can Help the Earth Every Day
- Reuse. Whether it be containers, jars, bottles, glass, or plastic—save and reuse.
- Grow a green thumb. By growing your own food, you can reduce the pollution involved in transporting produce. Be sure to eliminate any pesticides and fertilizers, which can be harmful to the planet and your health. Check out our article on spring-friendly fruits and veggies to plant in your backyard today.
- Bring your own bag. Take a minute and think about all of the plastic bags you have brought home from a trip to the grocery store or mall. According to Save the Bay, less than one percent of plastic bags are recycled each year. These bags typically end up in the ocean, threatening our precious marine life. Be eco-friendly and bring a reusable bag on your next trip to the store.
- Be chemical-free. With spring cleaning amongst us, consider using non-toxic cleaning products that are just as effective. There are endless household cleaners you can make yourself; just be sure to use reusable bottles for storage.
- Always recycle. There is an endless list of recyclable items, many that are relatively unknown. Check out this complete list of items you can recycle, including metals, paper, glass, plastics, batteries, bulbs and electronics.
- Buy local products or shop at farmers markets. By purchasing local products, you can decrease the amount of pollution involved in transporting goods. Shopping at neighborhood farmers markets can save you gas and keep pollution minimal. Try biking or walking to your local farmers market.
- Share this article with others. Share your knowledge with loved ones and encourage them to spread awareness. We have to work together to make the world a healthier and happier environment!
As you step outside each day, think of ways you can help this planet prosper for your children, grandchildren, and great grandchildren. These small lifestyle changes can amass to great, positive impacts on our environment. Think green, not just on Earth Day, but every day! For more healthy ideas on how you and your family can spend your days in San Diego, check out Scripps Affiliated Medical Groups’ articles.