Power-up for Thunderboat Racing at the San Diego Bayfair
Start your engines and get ready for the San Diego Bayfair! Every year, Mission Bay Park hosts the fastest event of the year. Since 1964, this event has attracted over 5 million people and grown from more than just a hydroplane race. It has featured drag boats, international competitors, live music, and aerial demonstrations. To celebrate the event, we’ve compiled information and tips to ensure everyone in your family enjoys themselves.
When: Friday, September 15 – Sunday, September 17
Where: 1404 Vacation Rd, San Diego, CA 92109
What You Need to Know:
You and your family can either purchase a 3-day pass or individual passes. Children ages 12 and under are free!
- General Admission (includes pit access, parking not included): Friday $20, Saturday $30, Sunday $30 at the gate.
- 3-Day Super Pass (includes pit access): $45 at the gate
- 3-Day VIP Ticket (includes preferred parking, hosted lunch on Saturday and Sunday, and exclusive viewing area): $250
Active duty military and reservists are free with identification. Military dependents can purchase a 3-day Super Pass for $20 (includes pit access). To purchase tickets, visit San Diego Bayfair’s ticket page.
There are several parking spots near the venue:
- Crown Point Parking
$10 a day and a free shuttle will take guests to East Vacation Island/Ski Beach and Fiesta Island. No in and out privileges allowed.
- Weekend Crown Point Parking
$30 for all three days and a free shuttle will take guests to East Vacation Island and Fiesta Island. In and out privileges allowed.
- Fiesta Island Parking
$10 a day and a free shuttle will take guests to East Vacation Island and Fiesta Island. No in and out privileges allowed.
- WVI Preferred Parking
This lot is located west of Ingraham Street on Vacation Island. Parking is $20 a day, first-come first-served, and guests will have to walk across to the venue. No in and out privileges allowed.
- EVI Premier Parking
This lot is located on East Vacation Island/Ski Beach. Parking is $150 for all three days. In and out privileges allowed.
A shuttle is available Friday, Saturday, and Sunday from 7AM to 5:30PM. The shuttle will pick up guests from Fiesta Island, Over the Line parking area, EVI West Side (bus stop in front of EVI), EVI East Side (bus stop in front of Paradise Point), and Crown Point (in front of the ticket booth).
You Can Bring Your RVs
Turn the event into a staycation and bring your RV! Spend five days and four nights camping along Mission Bay watching the powerboats speed to the finish line. There are eight different RV packages you can purchase, all of which include “Super Passes” and a spot to park your RV. If you don’t have an RV, California RV Rentals & Service are offering special rental packages for guests. They will even bring the RV and set it up for you.
How to Stay Healthy:
- A full day in the sun can be tiring, so be sure to get a full night’s rest. You don’t want to miss out on any of the action!
- Eat a balanced meal before heading out. This will give you energy to start your day and help with overindulging in unhealthy foods.
- Stay hydrated throughout the day. Hydrate with water and avoid sugary drinks as they have unhealthy added ingredients.
- Protect your skin from the sun by applying and reapplying sunscreen. Check out our article for tips on how to pick the best sunscreen for your family.
- Check the weather and dress accordingly. We recommend wearing comfortable shoes and breathable fabrics.
- Keep germs away! Bring hand sanitizer that contains at least 60% alcohol.
We hope that our tips help you and your family cross San Diego Bayfair’s finish line! For more local happenings, check out Scripps Affiliated Medical Groups’ articles.