Creating a Personal Wellness Plan for 2023
You may think, “I have no idea how to create a personal wellness plan, and even if I did, I’m not sure I could put it into practice!” Never fear. We’ll take you through the simple steps you need to make a personal wellness plan and give you some tips for sticking with it when the going gets tough.
What is a personal wellness plan?
A personal wellness plan is a tool that will help you achieve your health goals. Common health goals include losing weight, running a marathon, or prioritizing mental health. Everyone’s personal wellness goals are different, so you will have to do some research and self-reflecting to come up with yours. Your wellness plan may also involve managing some current health conditions, which is excellent! A personal wellness goal isn’t just about being in tip-top shape – it’s about your holistic health and whatever plans you need to be as happy and healthy as possible.
What should a personal wellness plan include?
A personal wellness plan should include the following:
- Your health goals
- Small, actionable steps that will help you achieve those goals
- Resources that will help you achieve your goals
Break your goals down into small, manageable steps. You have to walk before you can run. Quite literally, sometimes. If you want to run a 5k, start running for 10 minutes at a time every day.
Identifying goals for your personal wellness plan
Maybe you know you want a wellness plan but aren’t even sure what your goals should be. It may take some time to reflect on and identify what objectives you want to achieve in 2023. Here are some questions you can ask yourself if you’re having trouble deciding on some wellness goals:
Am I getting enough physical activity?
Do I drink enough water?
Am I getting enough sleep each night?
Am I eating a healthy diet?
Do I practice stress-reducing techniques?
Do I consider what values are the most important to me?
Do I participate in meditation, prayer, or yoga?
Have I spent time in nature recently?
Do I have a sense of self-worth?
Can I express my feelings to others in appropriate ways?
Do I usually maintain a positive outlook?
Do I feel free from loneliness or isolation?
When deciding, do I seek advice from peers or support groups?
Do I feel close to my family members?
Who can I call if I need support?
Do I get enough social connection on a daily basis?
Do I find my work meaningful?
Where do I want to be with my career in the next five years?
Do I seek mentorship or advice from leadership?
Do I have a retirement account or other plans for my financial future?
What’s my monthly budget?
Do I know where I spend my money?
Have I read a book lately?
Am I working on improving my memory?
Have I tried a new activity, such as learning a new language or writing a poem?
Is there a class that I could enroll in to learn something new?
Are there places for me to go where I feel safe?
What environments calm me?
Are my surroundings encouraging good health?
You don’t have to answer every single question on this list. A few will undoubtedly resonate with you. Pick the ones that do, and plan around the goals that come from answering those questions.
Determine what resources you need
After determining your wellness goals, it’s time to identify the skills and resources you need to accomplish them. Then, once you’ve identified what you need, make a plan for securing those resources.
Questions to ascertain what resources you need
- What do I need to learn more about?
- Regarding areas I need to improve upon, what resources are available?
- What books can I read to help me achieve my goals?
- Are there loved ones who could help teach me what I need to know?
- Does my community offer any classes in this area?
- Can I get the support and accountability to reach this goal?
- What are the obstacles to achieving this goal?
- How can I best prepare myself for those roadblocks?
A few helpful tips for your personal wellness plan
- Set SMART goals: Specific, measurable, attainable, realistic, and time-based. If you set SMART goals, you’ll find it easier to achieve them and feel better about yourself. A SMART goal might be: Get on the treadmill for 10 minutes three times per week. This is a specific and attainable goal that you’ll be able to measure your progress toward, and it’s also very achievable!
- Prioritize your wellness goals: You may have many goals for your health in 2023, which is outstanding! You can have as many as you want, but pick the most important one or two to focus on so you don’t get too overwhelmed.
- Monitor your progress: Regularly monitor your progress towards your wellness goals, making adjustments along the way as necessary.
- Celebrate your successes: Don’t forget to celebrate your accomplishments along the way, no matter how small!
Staying positive throughout 2023
Don’t get discouraged if things aren’t progressing along your ideal timeline. As long as your goal is still something you want to achieve, stick with it, no matter how long it takes!
Do you need help setting up a health plan? Look at our San Diego health plan resources to get started!
Join our Senior Wellness Society for the latest news on Medicare and tips for healthy living in San Diego!Sign up now ›