Kids Marathon Mile at LEGOLAND: How to Prepare & What to Expect
Invite the whole family for a one-mile stroll … through LEGOLAND!
People of all ages and abilities are welcome to enjoy the theme park’s toy-covered landscape while trekking to the finish line. Participants can walk, skip, run, be carried or be pushed in a stroller or wheelchair. This annual, non-competitive event also awards all participants with medals at the finish line. It’s sure to teach your children that marathons are fun!
When: Saturday, January 13, 2018; registration begins at 7 a.m.; the race begins at 8 a.m. and ends at 10 a.m.
Where: LEGOLAND California in Carlsbad
Who: Children and adults of all ages and abilities are welcome
Cost: $10 to $30
Parking: Free parking in the LEGOLAND parking lot
Visit In Motion Events for more information.
How to prepare:
- Take participating family members on a couple of long walks or jogs days leading up to the event. There are many great ways to prepare your body for running
- Ensure the family has a good night’s sleep,
- Eat a healthy, well-balanced breakfast (Examples: A bowl of multigrain cereal, lots of fruits, low-fat milk, a granola bar, etc)
- Protect your family’s skin with sunscreen
- Wear comfortable clothes and shoes (running shoes for those who will be running)
- Bring plenty of water bottles and snacks, ideally kept in a cooler in your vehicle, for before and after the marathon
- If you have older children, show them how to safely use dynamic stretches and warm up before the marathon begins
- After you reach the finish line, show your children how to stretch
What to expect:
- Space is limited, so pre-register
- Late arrivers may not be allowed to participate
- The event will occur whether rain or shine
- Pre-race and post-race events will occur in the theme park’s lower parking lot
- The course begins on the Tyke Hike, goes into LEGOLAND, makes a loop and finishes outside the park on the Tyke Hike
- All participants get a T-shirt and a finisher’s medal
- Children 12 and under get a free one-day hopper ticket to the LEGOLAND and SEA LIFE Aquarium parks
- Adults receive 50 percent off two adult one-day hopper tickets to the LEGOLAND and SEA LIFE Aquarium parks
- Light refreshments and family-friendly entertainment will be available after the race
Teach your children that exercise is fun while they’re young, so they continue to exercise through adulthood.
For more health-related tips and events, check out Scripps Affiliated Medical Groups’ articles.