Home Remedies for Healthy Skin in San Diego
San Diego enjoys near-perfect weather all year long. But even in this beautiful mild climate, your skin needs regular attention to stay healthy and looking its best.
Fortunately, a healthy skin care routine doesn’t have to be expensive. There are lots of home remedies that address numerous skin problems – many of which use ingredients you already have in your pantry!
Try these incredible home remedies for glowing, healthy skin year-round:
- Aloe vera – Although this light cooling gel might be your go-to after you’ve spent too much time at the beach, aloe vera does much more for your skin than just soothe sunburn. The plant’s water-dense leaves contain numerous skin-loving antioxidants like beta carotene, vitamin C and Vitamin E that help strengthen and hydrate skin to reduce dryness and the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles.
- Apple cider vinegar – Don’t let its strong scent put you off. Apple cider vinegar is an excellent, affordable home remedy for acne. The vinegar has several organic acids that have been shown to kill acne vulgaris as well as reduce scarring from acne. Mix one part apple cider vinegar to three parts water (for sensitive skin, dilute even more), and apply gently with a cotton ball after washing your face. Let sit for 10-20 seconds, then rinse off and pat skin dry.
- Baking soda – This powdery stuff that you probably only use a couple times a year to bake a batch of cookies has one particularly great purpose – calming mild skin rashes. Mix one teaspoon baking soda with one teaspoon olive oil to form a paste, and apply the mixture to the inflamed area. After 10-15 minutes, rinse it off and follow up with a moisturizer – like the coconut oil one listed below!
- Coconut oil – This delicious, healthy oil isn’t only good for your insides – it also does incredible things for your skin. The fatty acids found in coconut can lock in moisture, heal wounds and calm chronically itchy skin. Try these rich DIY coconut lotion recipes that will banish dry skin for good.
- Coffee grounds – Instead of trashing those fresh coffee grounds from your morning pot of joe, save them to mix with olive oil for an instant cellulite remedy. The caffeine and antioxidants in coffee can be effective in reducing the appearance of cellulite. Caffeine increases dilation in blood vessels, creating a toned, tightened look on the skin’s surface. Other factors like strength training, eating a healthy diet and drinking lots of water will also help diminish cellulite long-term by reducing overall body fat.
- Green tea – You probably already know green tea contains powerful antioxidants that help keep your immune system running at peak performance. But you might not know that these antioxidants, called catechins, are extremely effective in reducing skin inflammation of all kinds, including acne. Use green tea leaves for an amazing at-home facial, toner and cleanser.
- Oatmeal – Not just a breakfast superfood, oatmeal also helps normalize the skin’s pH balance, which can relieve itchy skin. This is why experts have recommended oatmeal baths to soothe irritating skin conditions from dry skin to eczema to psoriasis. But if you’re looking for a facial mask that will reduce puffiness and redness, oatmeal will also fit the bill. Try this popular oatmeal and honey mask that will nourish your skin.
- Yogurt – Lactic acid is one of the most popular alpha-hydroxy acids (AHAs) used in skin care products around the world due to its phenomenal moisturizing, smoothing and restorative properties. You could spend thousands of dollars for a high-end concoction of this miracle acid. Or you could make a face mask at home with a couple cups of plain yogurt, which is loaded with lactic acid as well as other essential vitamins and minerals for healthy skin.