Saint Patrick’s Day is a great excuse to go all-out with the green, so why not incorporate a few greens into your diet, too? With so many healthy green options, it’s easy to celebrate St. Patrick’s Day with every meal and save on calories so you can enjoy a green pint (or two). Luck of the Irish? You bet.
Here are a few healthy greens you can enjoy guilt-free this Saint Patrick’s Day and every day:
- For breakfast, whip up a green smoothie, like a kale smoothie blended with chunks of frozen pineapple and banana. Other green variations include a spinach smoothie with avocado and apple or a celery, cucumber, lime, and spinach smoothie. Healthy mixers to go with your healthy greens include unsweetened vanilla almond milk and non-fat Greek yogurt.
- If you’re in the mood for a snack, mix some fresh guacamole with cilantro and lime, or try a healthy version of a spinach and artichoke dip by using fat-free Greek yogurt and light mayonnaise. Dip with your favorite vegetables or try baked or whole wheat chips or pita bread. You can also steam some edamame (go light on the salt!) or try a baked version of avocado fries with cilantro-lemon dipping sauce.
- Craving something sweet? Put together some fruit skewers or bowls with green grapes, apples, kiwis, and honeydew.
- Nothing beats a classic veggie tray for your get-togethers: assemble broccoli, green peppers, cucumbers, celery, and snap peas to satisfy your craving for a crunch.
- A leafy green salad is a healthy lunch option, especially when you toss it with cucumber, sliced green apples, broccoli, or avocado. Add a little flavor with a cilantro-lime dressing. Another alternative is a hearty pea soup—just throw in some onions, carrots, celery, and potatoes.
- For a healthy greens twist on one of your favorite comfort foods, let this idea sink in: avocado mac ‘n’ cheese. Cook some whole wheat pasta al dente while mixing garlic, avocados, lime juice, cilantro, salt, and pepper in a blender. Stir together with some melted pepper jack cheese and enjoy.
- Another flavorful option is a green burrito bowl with chopped chicken or crumbled tempeh, along with jalapeño, green peppers, onion, beans, kale, avocado, cilantro, and salsa verde. Alternatively, a thin-crust pesto pizza covered in herbs and made with grain-free dough is guaranteed to delight without the usual gluttonous feeling that follows a greasy, cheesy pizza.
- Don’t forget your favorite healthy sides! Green beans, Brussels sprouts, zucchini, and asparagus make satisfying side dishes for any meal.
Be sure to talk to your Scripps Affiliated Medical Groups specialist if you have any questions about a healthy diet.