Best Family Summer Staycations in San Diego
It’s no secret that San Diego is a top tourist destination. So instead of taking the family on an expensive, out-of-town summer vacation, why not stay right here?
A San Diego family summer staycation is a fabulous chance to explore and do new things here in your own backyard. Check out these great ideas the whole family will love!
- Go camping – San Diego has some incredible family-friendly camping options, be it on the beach, in a state park or in the mountains. Take the family on an active, fun local getaway at one of our favorite camping spots near San Diego.
- Stay at a family-friendly resort – Save money on gas or airfare by booking your family’s summer vacation at a local family-friendly resort here along the San Diego coastline. This is the perfect chance to experience a new area of San Diego, and get familiar with all the beauty and excitement the region truly has to offer!
- Do a different beach every day – If staying at a resort seems like a stretch, you can still do a sublime beach staycation in San Diego. Make a list of beaches you haven’t been to yet, or rarely visit, and experience a different one each day!
- Get a GO San Diego card & sightsee – Purchase a GO San Diego card, and get unlimited admission to 35+ local attractions for a select number of days: two, three, five or seven. It’s an excellent way to save money if you’re planning multiple activities for your staycation. It includes free admission to the SD Zoo and Safari Park, LEGOLAND, Sea World, local bike and trolley tours, museums and much more!
- Cruise the harbor – Explore the San Diego Bay from right on the water by booking the family on a fun, informative harbor cruise! Harbor tours are a wonderful way to take in the gorgeous San Diego sights while learning about our region’s majestic marine life and the conservation efforts in place to protect them.
- Plan a family pool & spa day – There are many San Diego resorts that offer public access to their swimming pools and spa for a daily fee. For around $25 per person, the family can enjoy a day of aquatic fun and sun, or relax inside the spa or sauna, at a variety of gorgeous local resorts.
- Book a special tour at the San Diego Zoo or Safari Park – The San Diego Zoo and Safari Park both offer “upgraded experiences” – private tours and VIP animal encounters – at all different price points. Discover the zoo before it opens to the public, get up-close and personal with the big cats or even go zip-lining for a memorable, unique family staycation.
- Tour Petco Park – Ever wondered what goes on behind the scenes at Petco Park? Sign the family up for an exciting daily guided tour and find out! You’ll get to see the press box, sit inside a Major League dugout, and visit the Padres Hall of Fame and private luxury suites. Book a tour on a game day, and stick around to cheer on the home team!
- Check out new restaurants – Most families eat out three meals a day while away on vacation. But on a staycation, you could eat out just one meal a day, save money and still have a blast! Write up your family’s San Diego restaurant wish list, and rotate between breakfast, lunch and dinner for the meal you choose to eat out each day on your staycation. Yum!
Scroll through Scripps Affiliated Medical Groups’ articles for more great family-friendly tips and things to do in San Diego all summer long.