Are You Getting the Most Out of Your Medicare Health Plan?
Have you ever asked yourself, “am I getting the most out of my health coverage?” We have some suggestions on how to take full advantage of all the services provided by your Medicare benefits.
- Start by setting up a wellness visit with your doctor, even if you are feeling well. It’s better to detect a possible problem than wait for an incident or symptoms to show up. Plus, this appointment will give you the opportunity to discuss any health concerns up front.
- Get your lab tests taken care of at this time, as well. If you haven’t had your labs run recently, this will provide a baseline of your health for your doctor to watch. Even if you regularly get lab tests, doing so now will allow your doctor to be up-to-date in getting a clear picture of your current health.
- Ask your doctor to run chronic conditions tests. Just like having your lab work done, knowing where your health stands is a great way to stay on top of any potential problems. Chronic conditions tests include checking for diabetes, hypertension, coronary artery disease, rheumatic diseases, or lung diseases.
Does your health plan include extra benefits?
In addition to your annual wellness check up, you may also be able to set up appointments for dental, vision, and hearing, depending on your Medicare plan. Not sure what benefits your Medicare plan includes? Ask your Medicare Insurance agent.
- Schedule an appointment for dental x rays and teeth cleaning. Just like your wellness check up, make this appointment right away.
- Likewise, set up appointments to get your vision and hearing tested. Many plans not only cover these tests, but also have an allowance for prescriptions and hardware.
- Get yourself to the gym. If your Medicare plan includes a gym membership, take advantage of this benefit and make a goal to start going to the gym 2-3 times a week.
Are you taking prescription drugs?
Talk to your doctor now and check if any changes need to be made to your medications. In addition, check the cost of your prescriptions with your Medicare Plan, and consider ordering your medications by mail. Some Medicare plans will lower the cost of your prescriptions if you order a 3-month supply by mail.
Make your health a priority and take advantage of all the coverage your plan offers. Find out how often your plan allows you to see your different doctors and dentists a year, and set recurring appointments in advance. If you’re not sure what other benefits your Medicare plan includes, you can contact your agent or Caress Insurance Agency. We work with Scripps Affiliated Medical Groups to help answer all your Medicare questions.