Maker Faire San Diego 2017
Spark your family’s sense of creativity and wonder by attending the upcoming Maker Faire! San Diego’s third annual Maker Faire will be held in Balboa Park on October 7 and 8, from 10 a.m. until 6 p.m.
Called “the greatest show (and tell) on Earth,” the Maker Faire is a fun, hands-on event for people of all ages. Inventors, builders, scientists, hobbyists and all types of creators from the San Diego area will be exhibiting their latest innovations, holding educational workshops or performing jaw-dropping, live demonstrations.
The Maker Faire began in the San Francisco Bay Area in 2006 and has since exploded with global popularity. The San Diego Maker Faire is one of 30 large-scale Maker Faire events planned annually around the world.
What you can expect to see at this year’s Maker Faire:
- A live demonstration of how to use an ancient oil-based paint and fire to create art
- A 30-foot-tall robot that shoots fire (and is made of 90% recycled materials)
- A compact, affordable 3D printer
- A musical circus act with LED light shows and comedy
- A life-size giraffe that walks via a small engine that uses propane gas
- A simplified computer kit that will allow users to build a computer in under an hour
- A knitting and crochet workshop
- An interactive 3D-printed robot
- Famous roller coasters as mini sculptures
- Arcade games
Some helpful tips:
- Bring plenty of water and stay hydrated
- Wear sunscreen to prevent sunburn and other damage from the sun’s rays
- Carry a small bottle of hand sanitizer to use after a family member has touched something from an exhibit or participated in a workshop
- Ticket prices range from $7 to $30 if bought online, in advance
Finding educational yet stimulating activities for the whole family can be difficult, but the San Diego Maker Faire will make learning fun!
Join our Senior Wellness Society for the latest news on Medicare and tips for healthy living in San Diego!Sign up now ›