Fun For the Whole Family: Holiday Activities in San Diego
After Thanksgiving, holiday decorations go up and seasonal events commence. During the holidays, San Diego comes alive with endless activities that families can enjoy together.
Whether you’re looking for active, cultural, or traditional activities, these holiday activities in San Diego are sure to get you in the holiday spirit and create memorable experiences for you and your family.
Hit the Ice
Ice skating is fun for kids and adults alike, and it’s good for you, too—it helps build muscle and is a great cardio workout. San Diego has a couple of outdoor skating rinks. Don’t forget to dress warmly!
- Hotel del Coronado’s Skating By the Sea, open through January 2nd, allows you to ice skate while enjoying views of the ocean and the elegantly decorated hotel.
- Find Fantasy on Ice, San Diego’s newest rink, in Liberty Station. Check out their Family Sessions during the day, when parents and kids make up the majority of skaters. The rink is open through January 3rd.
Attend an Event
Broaden your horizons together for a fun experience.
- December Nights in Balboa Park is a fun and educational outing. Enjoy free museum admission, gift shopping in Spanish Village, music and dance presentations, and dozens of food trucks and vendors selling treats all throughout the park. Plus, try some new foods at the International Cottages, which will be serving traditional Chinese, Finnish, Irish, Panamanian, and Ukrainian fare. This year’s festival will be held December 2nd and 3rd.
- Looking for a holiday activity that includes your pet? Participate in The San Diego Union-Tribune’s Gaslamp Quarter Pet Parade on December 11th. Pets and owners alike dress up in costume and march through the Gaslamp Quarter. Costume awards will be given out for the best dressed animals! Spectators can watch the parade from 4th and 5th Avenues between E and K Street.
See a Show
Take the whole family to see a heart-warming holiday musical.
- For families with younger children, we recommend Dr. Seuss’s How the Grinch Stole Christmas! This holiday classic is on through December 26th at The Old Globe in Balboa Park.
- Adults, seniors, and families with older children will love San Diego Musical Theatre’s White Christmas, playing from November 25th to December 5th at Spreckels Theatre in downtown San Diego. You’ll hear all your favorite songs from the 1954 film.
Look at Lights
Fill travel mugs with hot cocoa, grab some snacks, and hop in the car to see some of the best Christmas lights in San Diego.
- Take a drive around your neighborhood first, and then check out some of the popular spots throughout San Diego, like Poway’s Candy Cane Lane and Point Loma’s Garrison Street Lights. You’ll be in awe of the impressive displays!
No matter which holiday activities in San Diego you choose to be a part of, enjoy spending time with your loved ones this holiday season. Scripps Affiliated Medical Groups understands how important your family is to you, and they make it easy to find a family doctor you can trust. Visit the Family Medicine page today to get started.