How to Veganize Your Favorite Mexican Foods
Looking to become vegan or how to spice up your favorite Mexican foods? Someone who is vegan abstains from consuming and using animal products. There are many reasons people choose to become vegan such as:
- To help the environment
- Stop animal cruelty
- Improve their health
Transitioning to eating vegan doesn’t have to be hard with the right ingredients. Here are a few vegan recipes for your favorite Mexican foods you can try with your family.
Vegan Chipotle Lentil Tacos
These vegan tacos are loaded with bold flavors, colorful vegetables, and a variety of textures.
- Cooked green lentils
- Olive oil
- Finely chopped yellow onions
- Minced garlic cloves
- Tomato paste
- Chipotle pepper in adobo sauce
- Ground cumin
- Ground coriander
- Corn tacos
- Pickled red onions
- Cilantro leaves.
- To make the lentil filling: In a large skillet over medium heat, heat oil. Add onion and garlic, cook until soft for around 6 minutes.
- Next, add tomato paste and chipotle pepper and cook over medium heat mashing the pepper with a wooden spoon. The tomato paste should be darkened slightly when it is done cooking. You can add cumin, coriander, and salt for taste.
- Next, add lentils and ¼ cup of cold water. Stir to combine, then cook, stirring and mashing some of the lentils occasionally, until lentils are heated through and partially mashed, and no liquid remains
- Lastly, assemble your tacos and your favorite toppings! You can also add a great creamy vegan cilantro sauce.
Vegan Restaurant Style Salsa
From fajitas to tostadas, quality salsa adds flavor to any of your favorite Mexican foods. You don’t need much prepping to make restaurant-style salsa; you only need a knife, a cutting board, and a food processor.
- Diced tomatoes
- Sugar (to help balance out the spices).
- First, chop up all of the vegetables, spices, and herbs.
- Next, add to a food processor and blend until desired texture and consistency.
- Lastly, add the salsa yo your favorite dishes or pair it with your favorite vegan chips or homemade chips.
Vegan Mexican Tortilla Soup
Tortilla soup is delicious, creamy, and satisfying to eat at any time of the day.
- Diced yellow onion
- Two cloves of minced garlic
- Chopped pasilla pepper
- Chopped zucchini
- Minced serrano pepper
- Chili powder
- 3 cups of vegetable broth
- Diced tomatoes
- Black beans
- Tortilla strips
- Fresh lime juice.
- First, add oil to a pot over medium heat. Saute onions and garlic in the oil until translucent to flavor the oil.
- Next, add peppers, serrano peppers, and zucchini in the pot and saute for 4 – 5 minutes.
- Then, add chili and cumin powder to coat. Next, add the vegetable broth and tomatoes and bring to a boil.
- Reduce to a simmer and add beans and corn to the pot. Cover the pot and let it simmer for 20-30 minutes. The longer it simmers the more flavorful the soup will be.
- Lastly, serve in bowls and add chopped avocados, tortilla strips, or desired toppings on top.
Try some of these delicious recipes and tag us on Instagram @scrippsamg to share your results!
For more on healthy San Diego living, please visit scrippsamg.com