Dr. Mel Kurtulus received his medical degree at Hacettepe University. He then served his internship in Internal Medicine at the University of Illinois, Chicago. He went on to finish his residency in Obstetrics and Gynecology at the Southern Illinois University. He continued his medical training with the completion of a minimally invasive laparoscopic surgery training program at the Advanced Laparoscopy Center at Stanford University. Additionally, Dr. Kurtulus completed a robotic surgery training program that has further enabled his patients with the option of minimally invasive surgery.
Dr. Kurtulus specializes in obstetrics and gynecology with expertise in laparoscopic and robotic surgery. He provides care in comprehensive OB/GYN services and women’s wellness programs to women of all ages. He is one of 23 surgeons in the country, and the only surgeon in San Diego, to teach other surgeons how to perform minimally invasive robotic surgery. Additionally, Dr. Kurtulus teaches medical students, residents, and fellows at the University of California, San Diego. He continues to be involved in laparoscopic and minimally invasive surgery research projects. Dr. Kurtulus has received multiple awards, including Resident Research Awards, Patients’ Choice Award, and an AAGL Achievement Award.
Dr. Kurtulus has over 20 years of medical experience, and he is certified by the American Board of Obstetrics & Gynecology. Dr. Kurtulus is currently welcoming new patients.
Practices atSan Diego Women's Health, Inc.
- › English
- › Spanish
- › Turkish
- › American Board of Obstetrics and Gynecology
- › Scripps Memorial Hospital La Jolla
- › Scripps Mercy Hospital San Diego
- › Scripps Green Hospital
- › Scripps Memorial Hospital Encinitas
- › Stanford University, Advanced Laparoscopic Center, Minimally Invasive Laparoscopic Surgery Program
- › Southern Illinois University, Obstetrics & Gynecology Residency
- › University of Illinois, Chicago, Internal Medicine Internship
- › Hacettepe University, MD - 1989
Memberships & Associations
- › American Association of Gynecologic Laparoscopists (AAGL)
- › American College of OB/GYN's
- › Society of Laparoscopic Surgeons
9850 Genesee Avenue
La Jolla, CA, 92037
- Aetna Medicare Advantage
- Alignment Health Medicare Advantage
- Anthem Blue Cross
- Anthem Blue Cross Medicare Advantage
- Blue Shield of California
- Blue Shield of California Promise Medicare Advantage
- Health Net
- Health Net Medicare Advantage
- Humana Healthcare Advantage
- Scan Medicare Advantage
- Scripps Health Plan
- United Healthcare
- United-AARP Medicare Advantage
Contact Mel M. Kurtulus, MD for more assistance at (858) 285-4747.