I was born to an American mother and a Swiss father in the city of Berne in Switzerland. Growing up I was drawn to arts and languages and studied Latin, Ancient Greek and Modern Languages in college. Once the time came to decide on a professional career, medicine was an obvious choice. It combines my love for humanities with logical thinking and analytics, which have always fascinated me. I obtained my medical degree at the University of Berne, Switzerland, later working at that same University hospital. During my years in Switzerland, I was involved in assessing and maintaining graduate medical education standards at the training hospitals and participated in the editorial staff of a monthly medical journal for trainees. I specialized in bone metabolic diseases, conducting and coordinating industry sponsored and investigator initiated studies. I organized and assisted in a program in Switzerland driving a mobile DXA machine (measures bone density) to remote mountain areas thus providing bone density exams to the local population, which may not have had access otherwise.
After relocating to the US I recertified in Internal Medicine at St. Mary’s Medical Center in Long Beach, CA, a UCLA affiliated community hospital. I graduated from fellowship in Endocrinology from the University of California San Diego. While this process honed my clinical and professional skills, it also instilled in me the desire to open my own medical practice.
I have a passion for helping patients understand the origin of their disease and the science behind treatments. I aim to be a partner in each patient’s health journey providing guidance and counseling based on the individual needs. I feel fortunate to providing services in an intimate single provider specialty practice. I collaborate with UCSD and Scripps, rely on counsel of my excellent colleague Endocrinologists and work together with an extensive network of local specialist and primary care providers. I hold hospital privileges at Scripps Mercy Medical Center in San Diego, where I assist in managing inpatients. In my private time I enjoy tinkering in the garden, going for a bike ride or a run and spending time with the family.
- › English
- › Spanish
- › French
- › German
- › Swiss German
- › American Board of Internal Medicine
- › Insel-Spital University of Bern, MD, 2004
- › Hopital Regional du Jura Site de Delemont, Internal Medicine, 2007 (Residency)
- › Universitätsspital Bern, Psychiatry, 2008 (Residency)
- › Regional Spital Thun, Internal Medicine, 2010 (Residency)
- › Insel-Spital University of Bern, Endocrinology, Diabetes & Metabolism, 2012 (Fellowship)
- › St Mary's Medical Center, Internal Medicine, 2017 (Residency)
- › University of California, San Diego, Endocrinology, Diabetes & Metabolism, 2019 (Fellowship)
1855 1st Avenue
San Diego, CA, 92101
- Aetna Medicare Advantage
- Alignment Health Medicare Advantage
- Anthem Blue Cross
- Anthem Blue Cross Medicare Advantage
- Blue Shield of California
- Blue Shield of California Promise Medicare Advantage
- Health Net
- Health Net Medicare Advantage
- Humana Healthcare Advantage
- Scan Medicare Advantage
- Scripps Health Plan
- United Healthcare
- United-AARP Medicare Advantage
Contact Lisa Jane Strahm, MD for more assistance at (619) 432-1033.