Dr. Choll Kim graduated cum laude from Harvard Medical School and completed his fellowship training in complex spine surgery at the Mayo Clinic. In addition, he is double-board certified by the American Board of Orthopaedic Surgery and the American Board of Spine Surgery.
Dr. Kim is an internationally recognized expert in the field of computer-assisted minimally invasive spine surgery. He has trained and continues to train specialists throughout the country on the safe and effective application of state-of-the-art techniques using image guidance and navigation technologies.
Dr. Kim utilizes a broad range of minimally invasive treatments to effectively treat all aspects of complex spinal disorders, including herniated discs, spinal stenosis, adult scoliosis, spondylolisthesis, traumatic injuries, tumors, and infections throughout the entire spine from the neck to the low back. He is one of only a handful of surgeons in the world to master laser endoscopic spine surgery (LESS), a state-of-the-art minimally invasive procedure that effectively treats herniated disks, radiculopathy and sciatica. The LESS procedure is performed in a same-day setting and with a small incision that is covered with a bandaid.
A leader in his field, Dr. Kim is the founder and past-president of the Society for Minimally Invasive Spine Surgery (SMISS), the founder of Minimally Invasive Spine Centers of Excellence (MIS-COE), the director of the Advanced Spine & Joint Institute at Alvarado Hospital and an associate clinical professor at the University of California, San Diego.
Furthermore, Dr. Kim has designed minimally invasive instrumentation used by surgeons around the world. Dr. Kim is an active member of the North American Spine Society (NASS) and the American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons (AAOS), and a fellow of the Scoliosis Research Society. Dr. Kim has over 200 publications and presentations.
Practices atExcel Spine Center
- › English
- › American Board of Orthopaedic Surgery
- › Mayo Clinic, Spine Surgery Fellowship - 2002
- › University of California, San Diego, Orthopaedic Surgery Residency - 2001
- › University of California, San Diego, Surgery Internship - 1997
- › Harvard Medical School, MD - 1997
Memberships & Associations
- › Society for Minimally Invasive Spine Surgery, Founder & Past President
- › International Society for Advancement of Spine Surgery
- › FDA Orthopedic Devices Panel
6719 Alvarado Road
San Diego, CA, 92120
- Arizona Foundation
- Beech Street
- Beech Street (Workers' Comp)
- CorVel (Workers' Comp)
- Coventry / First Health
- Coventry / First Health (Workers' Comp)
- Focus Healthcare
- Fortified Provider Network
- Galaxy Health Network
- Great-West Healthcare
- Health Management Network, Inc.
- Humana ChoiceCare
- Interplan / HealthSmart
- Interplan / HealthSmart (Workers' Comp)
- MultiPlan (Workers' Comp)
- Pacific Foundation SISC (Workers' Comp)
- Pacific Foundation for Medical Care
- Pacific Health Alliance
- Prime Health Services
- Prime Health Services (Workers' Comp)
- Private Healthcare Systems (PHCS)
- Scripps Employee Medical Plan
- St. Paul's Eldercare
- Three Rivers
- Three Rivers (Workers' Comp)
- USA MCO
- USA MCO (Workers' Comp)
Contact Choll W. Kim, MD for more assistance at (619) 378-3428.