Health Benefits of Swimming
Whether you swim for fun or like swimming as exercise, it’s not only a great activity for people of all ages, but it has amazing health benefits too. Learn about the benefits of swimming before you jump in for your next swim session.
10 Benefits of Swimming
- Low impact workout makes it doable for people of all fitness levels
- Raises heart rate while not being hard on joints
- Builds endurance and strengthens cardiovascular system
- Tones muscles and builds strength
- Offers a total body workout — swimming uses all the muscles in the body
- Improves coordination and flexibility
- Can be a calming activity that reduces stress and anxiety
- Burns a lot of calories — because it’s a full body workout, even a 30 minute easy swim can burn over 200 calories
- Prevents disease: swimming is a great cardio activity which can help reduce the risk of heart disease, type 2 diabetes, and strokes
- Accessibility: in San Diego, you can go for a swim in the ocean, bay, or any of the numerous community pools around the county. Many gyms have pools for members to use, and some hotels will let people use their swimming pool on certain days for a fee.
If you are a good swimmer and want to turn your casual swims into serious exercise, try one of these swimming workouts from Women’s Health.
Swimming Safety Tips
Before you dive in, keep the following safety tips in mind. Check out more tips from the American Red Cross here, and consider enrolling in one of their water safety classes to be prepared in case of emergencies.
- Know how to swim, or wear a lifejacket
- Be aware of the environment and make sure it’s safe
- Never leave a child unattended near water
- Stretch before you enter the water
- Listen to your body and don’t overdo it
Where to Take Swimming Lessons in San Diego
Not a strong swimmer? Not a problem — it’s never too late, or too early, to learn. There are many places in San Diego that offer swimming lessons for adults, kids, and infants. Here are a few places to learn to swim in San Diego:
6845 University Ave, San Diego, CA 92115
The Kroc Center offers swim lessons for swimmers of all ages, plus aquatic exercise and water walking classes. Check their website for dates and details.
The YMCA offers private swim lessons, group classes for infants, and lessons tailored to teens and adults.
4126 Executive Dr, La Jolla, CA 92037
Offers both private and group lessons for children and adults.
3115, Ocean Front Walk, San Diego, CA 92109
The beachfront pool offers swim lessons with an ocean view! Kids can progress through different classes as their skills improve.
7715 Balboa Ave San Diego CA 92111
851 Showroom Pl Suite 104 Chula Vista CA 91914
This swim school with locations in Kearny Mesa and Chula Vista empowers adults to learn to swim by offering the same skill progression taught to younger students, but tailored to adults.
Boys & Girls Club, 4635 Clairemont Mesa blvd, San Diego, ca. 92117
Aqua Pros teaches students of all ages, with small class sizes for individualized instruction.