Air-Conditioned Activities for Seniors
Don’t Sweat It! Top 5 Air-Conditioned Activities to Keep Seniors Cool This Summer
Summer in San Diego can be very limiting for seniors because of the health challenges the heat presents. As a city that enjoys 75-degree weather year-round, many of the best activities in San Diego are outside. However, when July and August heat up in San Diego, the 90+ temperatures they often bring can keep seniors cooped up and less active as they try to stay cool.
We’ve put together this list of the 5 best FREE air-conditioned activities in San Diego for seniors where they can stay cool, stay active, and avoid the stay-at-home blues!
- Free Tuesday Museums in Balboa Park: Every Tuesday of the month, several different museums in Balboa Park are FREE. They are on a rotating schedule, which means that you can check back every Tuesday and eventually see almost every museum in Balboa Park for free.
- Neighborhood Community Centers: Most community centers around San Diego offer free classes and activities for seniors. These include computer classes, fitness classes and art classes, among others. They are spread through many neighborhoods in San Diego, so check out one close by for a variety of air-conditioned activities for free!
- San Diego Public Libraries: Libraries all over town have a variety of activities and resources through the day that will keep seniors air-conditioned and entertained. One of our favorites is the Coronado Public Library, which has a full summer schedule of exhibits and workshops.
- Tour the US Olympic Training Center: The Visitor Center is open daily from 9:00 am – 5:00 pm and serves as the home base for the free self-guided and guided tours. The facility is expansive, but there is plenty to see inside the air-conditioning at the Visitor Center, which is home to a conference room, the BMX Hall of Fame and the Team USA Shop.
- Hit the Indoor Malls: San Diego has several indoor malls where seniors can get out keep cool for free – unless you shop, of course! They are spread throughout town at North County Fair, Parkway Plaza and Plaza Bonita. All have wheelchair access, cold AC, and plenty for seniors to browse.
Don’t get stuck at home this summer trying to keep cool! There is plenty for seniors to do around San Diego if you are creative. All of these places welcome seniors and are happy to share the air conditioning.
Scripps Affiliated Medical Groups also has an extensive online resource center for seniors. Subscribe to our newsletter for seniors and stay up to date on what matters most to seniors. We’ve got information on a variety of topics, including adult day healthcare centers, available caregivers, community services, education and job opportunities, housing, senior centers, and support groups. Sign up today!